29 May 2013

PhD Thesis, Assessment, and Defense (Preliminaries)

As promised to friends, now that I have received the preliminary assessment from my PhD thesis committee, I'm making this blog post. Here I share the following documents:

(1) My PhD thesis (preliminary pages only): 

Capitalist Development in Contemporary Southeast Asia: 
Neoliberal Reproduction, Elite Interests, and Authoritarian Liberalism 
in the Philippines and Malaysia 

(2) The Preliminary Assessment from my thesis' Expert Assessment Committee:
[Note: I inserted a barcode in the space for signatures.]

(3) Invitation to my PhD defense which will take place on Monday, 3 June 2013.


* * *

I have already thanked family, friends, colleagues, and mentors in the 'Acknowledgments' section of the thesis. Now, I would like to express my utmost appreciation to my Assessment Committee for the time and insights given to my years of postgraduate academic work, especially for their very favourable critical evaluation which unanimously accepted my thesis for defense. I am simply elated at reading the Committee's concluding appraisal: 
 
The assessment committee recognizes the dissertation as an impressive contribution to the understanding of the contemporary global neoliberalization process as it unfolds in the context of Southeast Asia (specifically the Philippines and Malaysia). The level of ambition is high with regard to the treatment of the subject matter. "
Making a contribution to knowledge  (be it 'original', 'substantive', or 'modest')  is the foremost objective of all PhD candidates. Thus, my thesis being recognized by reputable senior academics (all of them full-fledged professors) as making an "impressive contribution" is simply heartwarming.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

* * *





2 comments:

Vincenzo said...

Hi Bonn,
Congratulation for such a big achievement and good-luck for next endeavors which I am quite sure will lead you to wonderful results.
regards
Vincenzo

Bonn Juego said...

Dear Vincenzo

Thank you. I take it from you. :)

I wish you very well also in your endeavours. Let's keep in touch. :)

Ciao
Bonn